Enter the registration number below to make a vehicle insurance write-off inquiry.
Why is it important to check for CAT S or CAT N Vehicles?
After a minor or major accident, car owners can call their insurance company to cover cost of repairs as this can be quite expensive. Cat S and Cat N are insurance categories which are assigned if the cost of the repair is more than what the vehicle is worth.
Should I buy a CAT S or a CAT N Car?
Just because a car has been written off, it shouldn’t put you off buying the vehicle. The new Cat S and N were introduced in October 2017 which replaced Cat C or D vehicles. These are still available in the market from dealers, online websites such as AutoTrader or on social media.
What Insurance Categories are there?
- CAT A
- This is a complete write off with the most severe cases of damage. These cars are most likely destroyed and it is a really bad idea to buy one if it’s offered on sale.
- CAT B
- This is the second level of damage of a vehicle. It is strongly advised NOT to purchase a car if the car history report comes up with CAT B as it would have been destroyed and stripped for parts. Be very wary.
- CAT S
- An accident to a car with CAT S would have had damages to the structural frame or cassis. CAT S are most likely salvaged cars and be aware of purchasing a car. It would be important to inspect it correctly with an authorised mechanic.
- CAT C
- Would have significant damage to the car, but repairable but it cost more than the vehicle itself. Insurers often sell Cat C vehicles on for salvage. Many are safely repaired and on the road.
- CAT D
- Would have had some damage to the car, but repairable but it cost more than the vehicle itself. Insurers often sell Cat D vehicles on for salvage. Many are safely repaired and on the road.
- CAT N
- Would have had some damage to the car, but not as severe. The car would have been repairable but it cost more than the vehicle itself.. Insurers often sell Cat N vehicles on for salvage. Many are safely repaired and on the road.
Why a car check is important
Any insurance write off cars will be marked down in price compared to a car that has not been in an accident. It would provide you an opportunity to haggle with price and indeed look else where. Always look out for safety first of a vehicle.